“A healthy, thriving community nature reserve, a safe haven for wildlife combined with an educational environment in which people can connect with nature.”
- Establish, develop and maintain a healthy and thriving community nature reserve, by protecting, improving, and conserving the natural environment, and enhancing the biodiversity of the site.
- Make the reserve accessible to the public as a place for recreation, education, and the promotion of health and wellbeing, while balancing the needs of visitors with those of the natural environment.
- Develop the reserve as an outdoor learning environment, and promote an understanding and appreciation of freshwater wetlands, nature and wildlife across all age groups through active community participation.
- Reinstate and support natural hydrological processes, re-naturalise watercourses and create new wetland areas, creating new spaces for nature and improving the site’s ability to retain water, and playing a part in reducing flooding.
Our Strategic objectives:
- Develop and manage the reserve to further enhance the biodiversity of fauna and flora.
- Make the reserve accessible to all as a place where people can connect with wildlife, with benefits for education, physical and mental health, and wellbeing.
- Engage the local community in enjoying and caring for the reserve, encouraging a respect for nature combined with ownership and pride in a valued local amenity.
- Develop the reserve as a learning environment, offering a range of educational opportunities tailored to different ages, interests and needs.
- Further improve the site’s ability to retain water through the creation of new wetland areas, and supporting natural vegetation to act as a sponge.
- Ensure the reserve plays its part within the “Nature Recovery Networks” of the river corridor and the wider local natural environment; and forge region-specific partnerships with complimentary conservation areas, projects, individuals and organisations.
- Generate a sustainable level of funding and the other resources necessary to ensure the reserve can flourish and achieve its strategic objectives.
- Promote awareness of the reserve through targeted, specific, engaging and informative content, using a range of platforms both online and offline.
- Ensure the organisation is effective and fit for purpose through sound governance and management.